Nelson Mail - 2021-11-26


Mob members sentenced for attack


Amy Ridout

Two Mongrel Mob members who carried out a ‘‘vicious attack’’ on a man walking home have been given home detention. Dylan Cochrane-Gourley, 31, and Onyx Curtis, 22, were sentenced in the Nelson District Court on Tuesday for injuring with intent to injure. The summary of facts described how the pair, both patched members of the Tasman Bay Mongrel Mob Barbarians gang, were on Queen St, Richmond, on June 13 with other gang members and wearing Mongrel Mob insignia. After Cochrane-Gourley was refused entry from a local hotel because of his gang insignia, about 12.47am he became aggressive, ‘‘barking’’ and pumping his fists at staff. Cochrane-Gourley and Curtis then intimidated and chased a member of the public. The incident was seen by the victim, who was intoxicated and walking along Sundial Square on his way home. Unprovoked, Cochrane-Gourley swung several punches at the victim’s head. Curtis also punched him, causing him to fall to the ground. When the pair walked away, the victim got to his feet and approached again, earning him a ‘‘vicious attack’’ in which Curtis kicked him in the chest and punched him in the head. The victim fell heavily, losing consciousness as he hit his head against the pavement. The pair then walked away. An ambulance was called and the victim taken to Nelson Hospital, where he was found to have suffered a brain bleed and a fractured skull. Reading the man’s victim impact statement, Judge Garry Barkle described a long and ongoing road to recovery as the man dealt with physical and psychological trauma. Curtis’s lawyer, Kelly Hennessy, said his client’s life had been shaped by his mother’s suicide, an incident in which his younger sibling also died. Curtis was brought up hearing stories of his father’s gang involvement, and, at 16, Curtis joined the Mongrel Mob, Hennessy said. However, he has had steady employment for four years, and just one prior conviction. Ian Miller, acting for CochraneGourley, said his client had taken a lesser role in the offending. However, Judge Barkle said both men were ‘‘held equally culpable and accountable’’ for the attack, and that Cochrane-Gourley was ‘‘the prime driver’’ of the violence. In his sentencing, the judge described the incident as an unprovoked and serious attack. ‘‘The victim was vulnerable, by himself . . . You showed no concern for the victim, having attacked him you turned away and left.’’ Despite the ‘‘brutality’’ of the attack, the judge said prison was not an appropriate outcome, given the likelihood of becoming further enmeshed in the criminal world while incarcerated. Curtis and Cochrane-Gourley were sentenced to nine months and 12 months’ home detention respectively. Each were ordered to complete 120 hours of community work and pay reparations of $1000.


© PressReader. All rights reserved.